Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tentative race schedule 2014 and some other cool stuff

Hey everyone,

It's been about two weeks since my last post and it has been quite the eventful two weeks of offseason training. To start off with, Team INTENT opened up their training center! For those of you that don't know what a training gym is, it's a place where people have the ability to train for their upcoming race season or to work out in general. To go along with the state of the art WaHoo KICKR's for cycling training, INTENT provides athletes with  all the necessary tools for strength training, cross-fit, and functional strength classes.



                                                                 *Race with Intent*
                                                     
                                            Coach Mary Ann explaining how to use power
                                         


                                                     Where are you, Benjamin Mommer?

Now onto a tentative race schedule for the rest of the 2014 year. I started out the season a couple weeks ago at the local indoor tri. This was a good way to get some baseline fitness testing done and see the progress that has been made since September.

The next organized race I will do is the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k on March 30, 2014. I chose this for a variety of reasons, with the after party ultimately making it an easy choice. I ran this last year absolutely loved the race. For my first official 8k, I really enjoyed the distance. It's not to short, as a 5k, but not as long as a 10k. The other great parts of this race include the theme, number of participants, and ultimately running through the streets of Chicago.
                                                            Shamrock Shuffle 2013

The next race is the Chicago Spring Half Marathon on May 18, 2014. I originally had very little intention of running another half marathon until Amanda Carey posted on the FNRC Facebook page that they had free registration. After looking through other races I wanted to compete in and seeing 25 - 30 people I know sign up it became another easy choice.

In reference to my first blog post about the "triathlon lifestyle", the way everyone helped each other out in getting the limited free spots really showed the camaraderie in the sport.  

                                               A sunset that made me want to ride outside

Now onto summer, I have so far chosen to compete in the Chicagoland tri series races. These include Leon's Triathlon on June 1, 2014 followed by ITU World Triathlon Chicago on June 29, 2014 and finishing up with the Chicago Triathlon on Sunday August 24, 2014.


The race venue for ITU World Triathlon Chicago! Buckingham Fountain!

Lastly, I plan on competing in a couple of sprint triathlons and possibly an early season olympic down south. The main reason for this is to qualify early enough for Age Group Nationals which our located in Milwaukee.

  
   My new nightly ritual of icing my foot

A couple of other fun events I have are the Elmhurst criterium, Xterra Indiana and Wisconsin, and a couple of century rides. If anybody knows of any of these I'd love to hear about them and check out other races.

Finally, I am excited to announce my Level 3 cycling certification has officially come through. I look forward to this being one of the first steps into what I hope to be able to do and would like to thank everyone who has helped me so far.

Happy training everyone,

Matt Jennings

Ways to reach me:

No comments:

Post a Comment